Valentine’s Day: Cooking and candle safety
Valentine’s Day is almost upon us. If you’re having a romantic, candle lit meal in this year, make sure your love is the only thing burning (sorry – we had to).
If you can, opt for an electric candle. They’re by far the safest option and will still give you romantic lighting. In fact, some candles have scented wax and a flickering flame.
If you want the real thing, follow these tips to stay safe:
- Never leave a flame unprotected – use burners or lanterns to cover them
- Use a candle tray, holder or burner to keep it steady
- Never place a candle on an uneven surface where it can be knocked over
- Keep the flame away from curtains or loose fabrics that may be blown into it
- Ensure there’s no breeze hitting the flame; it could cause sparks to fly
- Make sure your candle is out of the reach of pets and children
- Never walk with a lit candle
- Never leave a candle unattended, or sleep while it’s still lit
- Light the candle with a long-reach lighter
- Extinguish them with a candle snuffer
If you’re going to be cooking something a little special and different on Friday, it’s always important to start early so that you can do everything safely and properly.
- Don’t drink while cooking, tempting as it is
- Keep fabrics (such as tea towels) away from the hob
- Cook with short or rolled up sleeves so they don’t ignite
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking
- Make sure children and pets aren’t in the room
- Clean up potentially flammable spillages (such as oil) immediately
- Clean as you go ,throwing out flammable kitchen roll and packaging as soon as you can
- Light gas ovens and hobs safely, using a long reach lighter
- Ensure appliances and your gas is turned off properly after use
In case anything does go wrong, we’d also recommend having a fire blanket handy. Whatever you do, never try to extinguish a grease fire with water, as you’ll just spread the fire. You’ll need a wet chemical fire extinguisher or fire blanket. Failing this, you can try to smother the fire with the cooking pan’s lid.
photo credit: CarbonNYC
via photopin cc